About Research Safety
The Research Safety unit provides coordination and support related to regulatory program compliance, loss control, incident management, chemical product evaluation, PPE selection and distribution, regulatory agency support and citation management, and equipment approval for field and laboratory-based research efforts. Our unit develops and implements comprehensive research safety programs in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Meet Our Team
- Controlled Substances Research Program and DOT Drug and Alcohol Program
- Occupational Health preventative medicine and medical monitoring for all areas on campus, including research and non-research groups, medical referral, immunization review, and medical clearance to wear appropriate PPE. Allergy assessment and coordination of medical accommodations with the relevant departments on campus
- PPE Distribution Program for Research Laboratories
- Vivaria Safety Officer and AED campus program
- Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA)
We maintain and support all aspects of the UCI Controlled Substances Use Authorization (CSUA) Program to comply with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registrations governing the use of controlled substances for research, veterinary and teaching purpose. This includes CSUA’s for chemical precursors and the DEA List I chemicals and campus DEA liaison for Schedules II-V registrations.
- Lab Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
We support the research community on campus by providing the appropriate PPE, personal fit-testing, and training on appropriate use. We assess needs and track distribution of PPE through an online application, manage laundry services for the entire campus, and offers prescription eye protection.
- Occupational Health
We support the health and well-being of all UCI employees and researchers by ensuring that workplaces are safe. We accomplish this by coordinating with other campus locations to ensure employees/ researchers with different medical conditions have the proper work environment or PPE to work safely.
- Vivarium Safety
We support IACUC efforts to ensure safety in research involving animals. Specifically, EHS develops procedures, conducting assessments of research spaces and investigates and responds to safety and injury incidents.