Safety Guidance Documents
An EH&S Reference Guide is a document that provides recommended best practices regarding various EH&S topics. A Reference Guide may include content from an existing UCI policy, procedures or Safety Manual and intended to provide information on how to work safety and in compliance with applicable regulatory and Campus requirements. Reference Guides should be used for training, risk mitigation and to provide clarity when performing various tasks.
Reference Guides provide general information and are not meant to replace departmental policy, protocol or safe work procedures, but rather to remind us about the importance of health and safety, help us recognize and control hazards, increase awareness and contribute to a culture of safety. Remember, there are potential hazards in all workplaces.
- Compressed Gas (pdf)
- Electrical Safety (pdf)
- First Aid Kit (pdf)
- Holiday Safety Reference Guide (pdf)
- Working Alone Safely (pdf)
An EH&S Safety Moment is a brief (typically 2-5 minute) safety talk about a specific subject at the beginning of a meeting or shift. They can cover a variety of safety topics and remind employees of the importance of being safe; at work, at home and in all aspects of our lives. Including a Safety Moment at the beginning of your meeting can help bring safety issues or topics up in a timely, clear, brief, and non-threatening way. Safety Moments are designed to reinforce safety knowledge and everyone’s commitment towards a positive safety culture.
Safety Moments provide general information and are not meant to replace departmental policy, protocol or safe work procedures, but rather to remind us about the importance of health and safety, help us recognize and control hazards, increase awareness and contribute to a culture of safety. Remember, there are potential hazards in all workplaces.
Safety Moment Collection and Templates
Need an idea or content for a safety moment? Listed below is a collection of moments and lessons learned that are ready to go. Just download the PDF and present them at the start of group meetings or departmental seminars. Keep a signed copy of the roster for all those that attended in your Laboratory Safety or SOS Binder. Help build the collection by sending your safety moments to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Safety Moment Topic" in the subject line. Please cite reliable sources.
Laboratory Safety Moments
- Bio Inventory in the Lab_SafetyMoment.pdf (pdf)
- Eye and Face Protection Face Shields (pdf)
- Eye and Face Protection Safety Glasses (pdf)
- Eye and Face Protection Safety Goggles (pdf)
- Get to Know Your Skin (pdf)
- Hazardous Material Spill Response Guidelines (doc)
- Microtome and Cryostat Safety (pdf)
- Protect Yourself from Reproductive Disorders (pdf)
- Reducing Explosion Hazards (pdf)
- Responding to Chemical Burns (pdf)
- Waste Anesthetic Gases (pdf)
General Safety Moments
Facilities Management/Construction Safety Moments
- Carbon Monoxide and Your Forklift (pdf)
- Choosing and Using Ladders (pdf)
- Driving Your Forklift (pdf)
An EH&S Lessons Learned is a document that provides critical information regarding information gathered during the investigation of a safety incident, near miss or compliance event. Following an accident or near-miss on campus or other institutions, the event is carefully studied and causal factors are identified and explained to ensure that technical and human actions are improved to prevent reoccurrence. Reviewing lessons learned with affected staff will serve to educate and reinforce safety behavior and practices.
- APEP Combustion Chamber Incident (pdf)
- CO Overexposure (pdf)
- Explosion Using Distillation for Final Purification of Tosylated Compound (pdf)
- Falling Objects - A Dangerous Trend (pdf)
- Forklift Rollover (pdf)
- LCD Projector Beam Nearly Cause a Fire (pdf)
- Nitric Acid Exposure (pdf)
- Peroxide Explosion (pdf)
- Portable Space Heater Danger (pdf)
- Propane Torch and Hexane Fire (pdf)
- Pyrophoric Materials Cause Chemical Fume Hood Fire (pdf)
- Rotor Safety (pdf)
- Ruptured Gas Cylinder Destroys Laboratory Hood at the University of Nevada (pdf)
- Sulfur Dioxide Inhalation Following UPS Battery Failure (pdf)