Field research can present many challenges that the researcher(s) may not have anticipated or planned for as they perform the work. For example, factors such as the weather, insects, animals and harmful plants are just a few of many potential factors that could interfere with planned activities. To aid in preventing or mitigating these challenges, a UCI Field Safety Plan should be completed and reviewed by all field party members.
Insurance and Travel Alerts
UC Away: If you are traveling more than 100 miles from campus, register your trip for travel insurance documentation.
Worldcue Trip Planner: Provides a direct link to a personalized “Trip Brief.” If conditions change, or security alerts are issued while you are traveling, you will receive location-specific alerts via email from Worldcue (storm warnings, civil unrest, disease outbreak alert, etc.).
Visit the UCOP Traveler's Assistance site for more information including:
- UC Travel Program (Connexxus)
- Register your trip
- UCI Field Safety Plan
- UCOP Field Operations Safety Manual
- Other UCOP tools to assist you in travel planning and safety
Other Trip Planning Resources
- UCI Risk Services
- Budgeting for Field Safety Supplies and Training
- UCGO – University of California Global Operations
- UC Field Stations
- UCI Nature
- UCEAP - UC Education Abroad Program
- U.S. State Department Travel – Before You Go
Other Helpful Resources
- Cold Stress – Preventing Hypothermia and Frostbite (NIOSH)
- First Aid
- Heat Illness and Prevention Online Training
- Heat Illness Prevention Tips
- Infectious Diseases and Travelers’ Health (CDC) - Search by Destination